Community of Care received a step-down grant from Sanford Health in 2012 to fund a part-time Faith Community to serve northern Cass County. Our Faith Community Nurse, Gwen Fraase, works with a Health Cabinet representing six local congregations. Together, they assess the community needs and establish programming. Health events focus on preventative health through a variety of health topics. One of the focus areas of the Sanford Health grant is to reduce hospital readmission rates for local Medicare eligible patients.
Bone Builder Class Gwen coordinates Bone Builder exercise classes in several locations. This low impact exercise provides health benefits and socialization. Classes meets in these locations:
- Arthur Good Samaritan on Monday and Thursday mornings from 9:45 - 10:45 AM
- Casselwood Senior LIving in Casselton on Tuesday and Friday afternoons from 1:30 - 2:30 PM
- Harwood Community Center on Tuesday and Thursday from 1 - 2 PM
- Hunter Grain on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings from 9:45 - 10:45 AM
- Kindred City Hall on Monday and Friday mornings from 10:30 - 11:30 AM
Blood Pressure Screenings Gwen also provides blood pressure screenings at the Arthur and Casselton Senior Meetings. She coordinates blood pressure screenings in six local congregations with trained health volunteers conducting the monthly blood pressure screenings.
Outreach Visits Gwen provides outreach visits to residents in northern Cass to discuss health conditions, medical appointments, etc.